Pages

My February Resolution

Our spring semester writing circle has begun again, thank goodness.  I need the encouragement, spirit and love I receive from my circle of smart women.

One of our writing prompts this week was "what do I need to shake off?"  So easy to answer -- lots of stuff.  But primarily I need to shake off the fear of speaking my truth.

Another prompt was "what brings you joy?"  Easy again -- rhyming.  It's not my greatest joy, of course, but since my brain seems to work in a sing-song sort of way and I spend much of my time knee-deep in music and lyrics, rhyming just comes natural.

My February Resolution is to write every single day, so here is my poem for the week, combining truth and rhymes:

In Honor of  Response to the Koch Brothers

If I had 400 million dollars
To spend any way I would choose,
Would I pay to make voters sway my way?
Or would I buy lots of meals and some shoes?

Would I gather with other rich people
And like-minded right wing statisticians,
And deregulate things which won't make me a buck
Like Medicare and CO2 emissions?

Would I command huge fees for my wisdom?
Say, $10,000 a head, plus your lunch?
Or would it be best to share my smarts freely,
Like Jesus, Gandhi and that bunch?

And then would I consider where all my funds went;
A half million to Ryan -- where is it?
I think I would rather build nice little schools
Where I'd get a hug when I visit

Than pay for commercials and tons of junk mailings -- 
the ephemera of all things political -- 
So white guys in Congress will do as I ordain.  
Sorry, I'm being so  critical

But when I am dead and need money no longer,
What will folks point to and say,
"There's what she did; there's the people she loved;
these things are much better today"?

Peace,
Georgie 

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written, thoughtful, caring words that match my soul. You say it so much better than I could. I also love the "refuse to engage" post from last June. Keep it up, as much as you can. I understand the wish to stay away from the vitriol and hatred, on both sides. But although I am not loud and outspoken, I will support those I agree with, and I will vote when the time comes.

    ReplyDelete